Below are some important details for pre and post operative procedures. Read carefully and discuss with your doctor if you have any questions.
Directions for Pre and Post-Op Wound Care
- If you have sutures they will be in for approximately 1-2 weeks. Please schedule vacations and or activities accordingly.
- No showering for 24 hours after surgery. After that, you may bathe normally, but avoid directly hitting the wound with water. This applies to sutured wounds only.
- Please discontinue all blood thinners 7-10 days before surgery (with permission from your doctor), or inform your provider prior to surgery that you are taking blood thinners ie: aspirin, Plavix, Coumadin.
- No strenuous activity for 1 week and preferably the entire time sutures are in.
- No swimming while sutures are in.
- Facial Sutures are in for 1 week or otherwise instructed by your provider. Other areas on the body require sutures to be in for 2 weeks.
- We advise you to acquire supplies for wound care prior to surgery. This would include but not limited to: hydrogen peroxide or mild soap to clean the wound, band-aids, Polysporin, Vaseline, or Aquaphor (**Please be sure that the Vaseline or Aquaphor is new and is applied by using a q-tip instead of your finger to prevent possible contamination and infection. **) If you are allergic or sensitive to adhesive from band-aids, Telfa and paper tape is advisable.
- Wounds will need to be covered at all times while sutures are in.
- Non sutured wounds will need to be covered for at least one week after shave removal.
- You will be contacted with the results of your procedure when we receive them, usually within 7-10 days, or you will receive them at the time of your suture removal. Call us if you have not heard from us, or you have not had your sutures removed within this time period.
Supplements to Avoid Pre and Post-Operation
Common supplements (not limited to) that need to be avoided prior to (for 7-10 days) and post surgery (for 7 days): Fish oil, garlic, ginger, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, goldenseal, kava kava, melatonin, St. John’s wort, and Vitamin E